10.8.09

Mic Harrison and The High Score Invade Columbus

This weekend marks the second time that The Boondogglers are having a "brush with fame." I realize that Mic Harrison is not a household name, but regardless, it is a privilege and an honor to be doing another show with Mic and his band. The party is happening at Mickey's Bar at 1230 West Fifth Ave. in Grandview (technically Columbus, OH). The Boondogglers (my band) will be opening and playing from approximately 9:00 to 11:00 p.m.
Background:
Mic Harrison is a sing-songwriter out of Knoxville, TN. I happened across him when he was a member of a band called The V-Roys. He got his start in a high school rock band that ended up becoming the band Fuel. The V-Roys were HUGE back in the mid to late 90's in Tennessee and generally the whole southeastern USA. Their live shows are legendary and I consider them one of my three favorite bands/performers of all time - Johhny Cash and BR-549 being the other two. I didn't know about The V-Roys until after they had split up, but my V-Roys cds were quickly worn out from being played too much. It was my first foray into the genre known as "Alternative Country." As I said, they weren't a commercial success in terms of radio airplay and sales, but they did draw the attention of one Steve Earle (Copperhead Road, Guitar Town etc., etc). Earle signed them as the first artists on his label, E-Squared Records and used The V-Roys as his band on several occassions including on a tour throughout Europe.
After The V-Roys, Mic went on to be part of another of Knoxville's legendary rock bands, Superdrag. He was in a band called The Faults as well - which I will admit I know nothing about.
Finally Mic has been focusing on HIS music and has permanently teamed up with three other Knoxville musicians to form Mic Harrison and The High Score. Their albums have gotten plenty of critical acclaim, but as with most GOOD music, they aren't marketable to traditional country, rock, or pop radio, so only those of us with Sirius/XM get the joy of hearing them through our car radios.
I happened to meet Mic at The Rumba Cafe and we became quick friends. He is a good ole boy that is very easy to get along with as well as being extremely humble and gracious...a singer-songwriter by night and runs Harrison Lawn Care Company by day. His songs are real, from the gut. I don't know many people who can say, "My favorite band is (fill in the blank). Would you like to talk to the singer? I have him on speed dial." I am fortunate to be in that position. I admit it feels pretty damn cool to be able to call up one of my personal musical heroes and just chat with him.
In a review in the Knoxville Daily Times, Mic's last record was described as "...a southern-fried helping of soul music. The audio equivalent of a slab of barbequed ribs, mashed taters, pinto beans , and collards with a hunk of pork..."
Come taste the goodness for yourself this Friday night.

2 comments:

senormedia said...

Check out The Faults - you'll be glad you did. A little less country than the V-Roys, and a little more rock/pop (kind of like Mike's songs in the V-Roys).

Anna@MetaMusings said...

I found the blog! Thanks for coming over last night!

I forgot to ask you how this show went. I'm a having a little Boondoggler withdraw since I haven't been able to make it in awhile. I would like a notification next gig, please.